Some examples of how the global downturn is affecting the sports world …
- A French pole vaulter is resorting to, um, extraordinary means to attract a sponsor.
- The Zambian football association is scrambling to pay its coach’s salary.
- UEFA is mulling over a salary cap (although owners’ ongoing efforts to suppress labor costs and run screaming from the free market is a recession-proof trend if ever there were one).
- The Seibu Prince Rabbits, two-time champions of the Asian Ice Hockey League, have disbanded for financial reasons.
- The State of Hawaii is welcoming back America’s Most Boring Sporting Event, mostly on the NFL’s terms.
- Boston ticket scalpers are being hit hard.